Elder Abuse Attorneys New Jersey

Elder Abuse Attorneys New Jersey


Elder Abuse Attorneys New JerseyMany nursing home residents fall victim to neglect and abuse each and every year — despite the fact that federal and state laws exist to help protect them from abuse and neglect. The only way to help stop this shameful epidemic is to pay attention and REPORT instances of suspected ABUSE AND NEGLECT.

In New Jersey, you can report complaints about nursing homes, assisted living, medical daycare, comprehensive personal care homes, long-term care facilities, hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, home health agencies, and other ambulatory or long-term care facilities in the following ways:


Call 911. If you have a legitimate reason to believe that your loved one or another resident is in immediate danger or in need of immediate medical attention, call 911.


COVID-19 is especially hazardous to elderly residents of Long-Term Care Facilities. If you have reason to suspect misconduct involving a nursing home concerning or during the COVID-19 outbreak, REPORT IT TO THE STATE HERE  https://covid19.nj.gov/forms/ltc:


If you believe that your loved one is being abused or neglected but is not in imminent danger, various state agencies exist to which you can report your suspicions. Please note that limitations on state resources may cause investigations to take some time, and you will not be able to control whether the state decides to take meaningful action. As such, in addition to reporting your suspicions, you may also consider transferring your loved one to another facility. Bearing this in mind, you can access the following state resources:

  1. File a Complaint Against the Facility:

You can also file a complaint against the nursing home, by contacting the State of New Jersey Department of Health. You can:

If you choose to report by fax, you can make the report anonymously or disclose your info. The state asks that you please include the following information:

  1. Your specific complaint (mandatory)
  2. Your name and mailing address including zip code (optional)
  3. Daytime phone number including area code (optional)

Long Term Care Complaints, including nursing homes and assisted living facilities, have the following dedicated fax number:  609-943-4977.

If you elect to mail the completed Consumer Resident/Patient Complaint Report Form (AAS-60 – link above), send it to the following address:

New Jersey Department of Health
Division of Health Facility Survey and Field Operations
PO Box 367
Trenton, NJ 08625-0367

Further information is available through the NJ Dept of Health website:  https://www.nj.gov/health/healthcarequality/patients-families/file-complaint-how-to/

Medicare also provides a reporting mechanism available through the following link:  https://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/Nursing_Home_Complaint_Form.pdf

  1. File a Complaint Against a Medical Staff Member:

New Jersey Board of Nursing
PO Box 45010
Newark, NJ 07101

Division of Consumer Affairs
State Board of Medical Examiners
P.O. Box 183
Trenton, NJ 08625

  1. Contact the New Jersey Office Adult Protective Services:

The Adult Protective Services Agency (APS) is available to investigate allegations of suspected abuse, neglect and/or exploitation involving anyone aged 18 or older. Contact is made on a county-by-county basis. Specific contact information can be accessed here:  https://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/home/adultpsp.html

For more information on the New Jersey APS, see its website: https://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/services/aps/

  1. Contact the New Jersey Long Term Care Ombudsman:

The Ombudsman (https://www.nj.gov/ooie/) is a dedicated state agency which was formed to protect the rights of residents age 60 and older who live in nursing home or other long-term care facilities in New Jersey.

You can report abuse by:

  1. Contact a New Jersey Elder Abuse Lawyer to Take Legal Action

In addition to filing a complaint, you can consult with an experienced attorney such as Davis & Brusca, the elder abuse attorneys New Jersey trusts to take legal action for claims of nursing home neglect and abuse. Call Davis & Brusca, LLC today. We are here to help you and your family. Call us at 609-786-2540today to schedule your free consultation.

    Request a Free Consultation

    Client Review

    "Davis & Brusca did an extremely through job on our case. I found their compassion and understanding during difficult times to be in measurable. I highly recommend this firm."
    Mimi S
    Client Review

    Schedule a consultation with one of the dedicated lawyers at Davis & Brusca, LLC