What To Do If You’re Injured By a Drunk Driver

DUI Lawyer

It’s illegal to drive drunk in every state, but those laws don’t seem to prevent accidents with drunk drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in the United States, every day, about 28 people die in drunk driving accidents. That doesn’t take into account the number of accidents without fatalities. If you are in an accident with a drunk driver, it’s important to know what to do to build your case against the insurance company to make sure you are compensated for your damages and injuries.

Take Care of Yourself and Your Passengers First

In any accident, the first thing is to get medical assistance for anyone who is injured. Call 911 to report the accident. Ask for a police officer to be sent to the scene, but make sure that everyone gets treatment for any injuries. Keep in mind that not all injuries are immediately noticeable. You may not feel any pain right away, but you may still want to go to the hospital or to your doctor to make sure you are okay.

Document as Much as You Can

Even if the police take a report, you may want to take pictures and get information from witnesses to support your case. Sometimes, it can take a week or longer to get the official police report. If you have the information when you call your insurance company, it can help process your claim quicker. Send pictures and information to your email or store them in the cloud, just in case you lose your phone.

Report Your Accident to Your Insurance Company

Even though the accident wasn’t your fault, you should report it to your insurance. This helps prevent the other driver from making a claim against you. You may also be required to report all accidents as part of your policy. Your insurance may be able to help you process your claim. You may have coverage that you can tap to get your bills paid for before the other insurance company comes through.

Talk to a Lawyer – Even if the Other Driver Isn’t Charged With DUI

You may be able to sue the other driver, even if law enforcement doesn’t charge the driver with a DUI or other criminal charge. A DUI conviction would support your claim, but it is not necessary to get a settlement from the insurance company. Consulting with a DUI lawyer from a law firm like Cohen & Cohen, P.C. to help you better understand your unique situation and if you are owed compensation after a DUI accident.